Home safe and sound…

8 Dec

Thanks so much for all of your nice comments about Alex. She did just fine during surgery — she is such a trooper. Doug and I were the ones who I think had a tougher time.

The morning of surgery — around 4 AM –I thought Alex would be grumpy having been woken up early and without food. But she seemed really excited — like she was going on a trip. It was only a little before surgery (around 7AM) that she started to get a little fussy. Luckily they give her a sedative before taking her into the OR, so she soon forgot all about being grumpy. The surgery was about 3 hours long. Doug and I walked down the street for breakfast with a hospital beeper and then returned to wait for only about 90 minutes or so. We were then taken upstairs to wait for Alex while they were doing post-op stuff on her. At one point we heard a crying baby down the hall. We popped our head out of the door and there was Alex being wheeled into recovery. We totally knew her cry from so far away! We stayed in recovery for a long time waiting for a bed in the post-op ward. Luckily Alex was a little sleepy and out of it. It was just hard for us to sit there. It was strange but during this whole process I was unable to cry or let myself feel anything. I noticed that I had to detach from the situation in order to be strong and only cried once we were in recovery.

Alex slept a lot in the hospital which is good considering we had to share a room with a little boy who had just had brain surgery and who cried all night long. (Poor little thing, I felt so badly for both him and his mom…) Two days after coming home, Alex was rolling around on the floor and talking. Then…

She got the flu. Not just any old flu but that terrible one that is making the rounds of all the playgroups and pre-schools. The vomiting-nausea-diarrhea one. First it struck Doug the day after we got home. He recovered pretty quickly — was feeling better in 3 days. Then Alex got it the Sunday after her operation. I knew after she spent the morning getting sick all over me that it was just a matter of time before I’d get it. We spent most of Sunday in the ER. They didn’t do anything for us and we wound up back two days later because Alex wasn’t able to eat or drink anything. By this time I had gotten the flu. So, one week exactly after her surgery we were back in the hospital. We we admitted for observation. I stayed with Alex because Doug had to work. Luckily we had our own room. We were released the next day and by Saturday after Thanksgiving our little one was starting to eat again.

It’s been a long couple of weeks…

alex-presurgAlex & Doug pre-surgery

katiealexAlex & Mama post-surgery

alex-maskAlex post-surgery. She insisted on holding her own oxygen mask.


6 Responses to “Home safe and sound…”

  1. knittyk8 December 9, 2008 at 5:30 pm #

    What a rough couple of weeks! Glad to hear Alex made it through the surgery well, I hope you’re all feeling better!

  2. knitplaywithfire December 9, 2008 at 5:34 pm #

    Sometimes you pick up bugs in the hospital that you would not normally pick up. Hope everyone gets better really fast.

  3. Naoko Tani Fukuchi December 10, 2008 at 3:16 am #

    What good news! I was praying and thinking of you and visiting your site many times. I am glad you are all alright now. Take good care of yourselves!

  4. Teresa December 10, 2008 at 11:48 pm #

    Glad you got through surgery and the nasty flu! Here’s hoping they’re your last hospital visits for a long time!

  5. Jill B. December 11, 2008 at 2:07 am #

    I’m so glad to hear that everything went alright! I was getting concerned after we hadn’t heard anything for a while. I hope you all recover thoroughly from your flus!

  6. White Hot Magik December 15, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

    Wow, what a couple of weeks for sure. She is such a doll even after surgery.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: