Ingrid just tagged me the other day. I’ll have to think of people to tag (many of the blogs I read have been tagged already and I don’t want to double tag them…) But here are 8 random things about me:
1. I’ve lived in two countries that no longer exist: the Soviet Union (study abroad in Moscow) and Czechoslovakia (taught in Slovakia).
2. I sometimes still get carded (when I touch up my roots, that is). One time last year I forgot my ID at Trader Joe’s (supermarket) and the guy wouldn’t sell to me.
3. I brought my neurotic cat, Machan, all the way from Japan with me. I got her 3 weeks after I arrived in Japan — had to trek out to the country while it poured rain just to to get to her shelter to pick her up.
4. I used to sell my artwork (woodblock prints and crocheted purses) on Venice Beach during the summers and hang out with the funky tarot card readers and massage people.
5. I randomly meet people I know all the time: I met a guy I went to grad school with in the San Francisco airport 6 years after graduation; someone I went to high school with on top of a mountain at a ski resort; a grammar school friend in a video store in Monterey, CA…. (the list actually goes on…)
6. Although I’m not into sports, I’m a devoted Baltimore Orioles fan.
7. I was born in Montreal, Canada during an ice storm.
8. I’ve been mistaken for many different ethnic groups/nationalities: Israeli, Spanish, Irish, Polish, Czech, Greek, Slovak, Russian, Japanese & Thai (yep, got asked if I had an American dad and Asian mom a lot when I traveled). Had to explain to people in Asia all the time that there are other ethnicities out there where people are short with dark hair and dark eyes!