I have a few ideas of things to write, but I am all-written-out this week (am doing 2 weeks worth of writing for my writing gig and can’t really process words and sentences well at the moment…)
So, I thought I’d put up this meme that I found on Kelly’s (She who measures) blog.
IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70′S……
1. You had that Fisher Price Doctor’s Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. No. But I did have the FP people — the village, vacation house and regular house…
2. You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. Oh, I so wanted one! But my folks were much more practical — nothing but a good old geeky Schwinn for me.
3. You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. Yep. In our basement and down the steep hill I lived on…
4. You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) Yeah. Sorry to say I did.
5. You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island. Nope. Never.
6. You had either a “bowl cut” or “pixie”, not to mention the “Dorothy Hamill”. Dorothy Hamill (strange I was just thinking about it the other day too…) My brother had a bowl cut — my dad actually put a bowl around his head and cut off his hair because it was getting too long (and it was his very first cut too, poor kid!)
7. You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. Definitely remember the rubber boots…
8. You owned a “Slip-n-Slide”, on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. No, my neighbor did. Never got injured but had an allergic reaction to the plastic.
9. You owned “Klick-Klacks” and smacked yourself in the face more than once ! No, but thought they were cool.
10. Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. No. Had a sleeping bag with little green and yellow frogs, though. Still use it as an exta blanket sometimes…
11. You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. Wasn’t into the ponchos but I loved my gauchos!
12. You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. I didn’t beg, but I did want it. Got another game called the “Wizard” instead — much more fun. I do remember asking the tooth fairy for 10 bucks, though to buy a handheld football game…
13. You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or the sunshine family. Nope.
14. You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze.Yep. My swing set didn’t have the trapeze but my neighbors had one and rings too! (Our swingset would lift up off the ground whenever we swung — fun stuff!)
15.You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. Just maroon/white (school colors) and pink/orangy.
16. You had a pair of Doctor Scholl’s sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. Don’t know what salt-water sandals are but wanted the Dr. Scholls. Mom had a pair that I’d put on, they hurt my feet, though.
17. You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Oleson! No, but I did hate Nellie…
18. You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! I just wanted it — anywhere would be fine! (I realize that that sentence sounds a little pervy, but I meant it in an innocent way.) But I did first hold hands with a boy at the rink…
19. PONG! (”video tennis” ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you’ve ever heard of ! Yeah. There was one other I liked better but I can’t remember…
20.Your hairstyle was described as having “wings” or “feathers” and you kept it “pretty” with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the “wings” flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna “take off”. I did keep the comb in my pocket — think it was around ’82. Tried to have wings but it never worked with curly/wavy hair…
21. You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. Yes. In fact I actually had one.
22. You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic.
With the thermos inside some were glass inside and broke the first time you dropped them.Never had the muppets. Think I had Speed Buggy.
23. You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. We wouldn’t fight — we lusted equally after them (although Tom Wopat was my persona fav.)
24. YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! No.
25. It was a big event in your household each year when the “Wizard of Oz” would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! I loved watching it and would grab onto my brother when the monkeys came on but it wasn’t a family event.
26. You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: “Who will I marry.
Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?” No. Although my first fantasy about a boy was of David Cassidy when I was five. (My boy-craziness started really early….)
27. You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. No. I wasn’t allowed to have records that weren’t classical music.
28. You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God’s eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. Oh god yeah and making keychains with gimp too!
29. You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! I never did shrinky dink stuff (but used it later for quilting templates). Iron-on kittens were never really my thing.
30. You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. Yeah.
31. You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. Just Dynamite. Remember taking Shaun Cassidy’s pic out of it and hanging it up…
32. You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books. (Are you there God, It’s me, Margaret.) Totally. Although I was a late bloomer so I also learned a lot from my friends.
33. You thought Olivia Newton John’s song “Physical” was about aerobics. Yeah but I also thought it was cheezy even back then.
34. You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. Had rainbow shoelaces but didn’t think friendship pins were all that cool.
35. You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. No.
36. You drowned yourself in Love’s Baby Soft – which was the first “real” perfume you ever owned. Yeah. A friend gave me a whole bunch of Baby Soft stuff one year so everything smelled like it. I also loved Tickle deodorant too.
37. You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off. Yeah although I think it was bubble-gum flavor. Also was into Bonnie Bell…
Ah, the 70’s were such a wacky time to grow up!